Friday, June 09, 2006

Ada

We went to Ada yesterday for my preop appointment. I always hated walking into the Indian Hospital (sorry, Native American) in Tahlequah, because there is no way I look Indian, and everyone in Tahlequah does. I always felt like taping my card to my forehead to prove I had the right to be there too.

Ada was different. It's the Chickasaw Nation rather than the Cherokee Nation, but that really didn't have anything to do with it. There were just a lot more people like me - not 100% Native American.

I do feel alot better about using the facility than I did before I went. Mom and Dad are pretty prejudiced about using the Indian centers - I'm not sure why - and I guess a little of the prejudice had worn off on me. Anyway, it's nice, fairly new, modern - and everyone is so very friendly and helpful. We walked in the wrong doors and this lady walked us all the way over to the registration desk. No one had told me to bring my social security card - no big deal, bring it next time. Do I have any questions or need any help with filling out the paperwork? What can they do to make my experience there as pleasant as possible.

The thing I remember most about Tahlequah was the get there very first thing in the morning and wait - we'll get to you when we get to you, and if we don't get to you today, you'll just have to come back tomorrow. My appointment was at 2:30, but we had to be there at 1:30 to get all of the paperwork done. By 2:00, I was in the doctor's office and he was going over the procedure and what I should expect. And reassuring me that this IS a minor procedure, could actually be done in the doctors office, and that while they have to tell me about the possible complications - specifically the possible weakened cervix which could cause complications in future pregnancy - they are not likely to be a problem. Which is what I've been reading online, but it doesn't hurt to have the reassurance again.

So then to the lab for 6 (count them - 6) tubes of blood (I've never had that much taken from me before. I asked them how much blood that really was - meaning a pint or what - and she told me it was about 20 mils - which told me absolutely nothing!), and off to the pharmacy for an antibiotic (to help prevent an infection after the surgery), and then back to admitting to get the surgery paperwork finished up. 3:30 and we were out of there.

And then of course the 2 hour drive home.

But, I'm feeling much better about the whole situation, and that's the important part.

I am working on some information to post on here about HPV, mild dysplasia, and cervical cancer. Having been talking to several different women about it all, I've found that most people really don't know what the difference is between mild dysplasia and cervical cancer - and ladies, I'm here to tell you that while they are related, and the mild dysplasia can be a precursor to cervical cancer THEY.ARE.NOT.THE.SAME.THING. And this is very important to know and understand, especially since 80% of all sexually active adults end up with HPV, which starts the whole cycle. 80% - men and women. Using our family for an example (ignoring the kids since they aren't (better not be) sexually active), out of the 25 adults, 20 of us should have HPV. That's something we should all know about.

So I'm still working on it, but plan on posting it over the weekend. I hope that you will all take the time to learn about something that will affect us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Play these cool games now with no download, or download trial version FREE

Put this game box and other cool free add-ons on your website free! CLICK HERE

Animal Breed Zip Code