Thursday, April 27, 2006

What a lovely day, Not

Well the colposcopy came back mild dysplasia, which is what the pap came back, so there's almost $900 wasted. Now he wants to do the L.E.E.P. procedure. It's an outpatient surgery to remove the abnormal tissue from the cervix. Since we don't have insurance it'll cost around $3,000.

So the first thing I did when I got back to work was look up the nearest indian hospital which is in Ada (about 85 miles from OKC). I called them, and yes, they do the procedure so they won't refer me back to my doctor even though they are 85 miles away. So I asked about making an appointment and I'm supposed to tell them what day of the week I want it on and the doctor will schedule an appointment at his convenience and they will mail the appointment date to me. That's for the first appointment so that they can examine me and decide whether I need the procedure or not. Then, they'll make another appointment for me to go back for the preop, and then a third appointment for the actual surgery. And then I'm sure that there will be a fourth follow-up appointment that I haven't heard about yet.

Shit. Repeat 10 times with lots of other curse words in the middle.

Okay, so I have to look at this from the money angle, rather than the inconvience angle (and the a total stranger is going to perform surgery on me angle). If I miss 5 days of work (1 day recovery) and Chris misses one day of work to take me for the surgery, we'd only lose around $750. Mathwise it makes sense. It's just not what I want to do. I've been getting alot of that lately, you'd think I'd get over expecting things to be easy.

I just got off the phone with Chris, and he said that we should at least go to the first appointment to see what I thought about the doctor. I told him there was no guarantee that I'd see the same doctor each time. For surgery, maybe I would. I know that when Lesley had Kyra she saw a different doctor every time she went in. Of course, that was in Claremore, Ada may be different.

I was reading the from the link above, and it says that I'll have to go back in 2-4 weeks, and then I'll have to have a pap every 3 months for the next 2 years. Oh, and that most women are okay after this procedure, but that it can weaken the cervix, causing fertility problems or complications in pregnancy.

Life sucks. Out loud.

Sorry, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself right now. The worst thing is that there is no guarantee that this will even work. The idea is that they remove all of the abnormal cells, allowing normal cells to grow back. That's the idea anyway. Knowing my luck, it won't be nearly that easy.

Sorry, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself right now. I'm here to tell you that health insurance is a must. Unfortunately, I can't afford $500 a month premiums.

I guess I'm going to call back the indian hospital and make that appointment now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another reason I bought the Mother Teresa plaque: "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much." It can't always be hard, can it? I know for a fact they can tie your cervix closed when you get pregnant to keep you from having a miscarriage.

Les

7:28 PM  
Blogger bookworm said...

I keep telling Chris that our luck has to change one of these days, it can't stay bad forever. And then I remember 1996-1998 - three bad years in a row. Remember those years? Mom once told me that when she would read the newspaper she would always read our horoscopes, and that for 1 year straight it was bad every day. That was during that 3 year period.

What really worries me about the fertility thing is that obivously I'm already having a hard time getting pregnant. Maybe I CAN'T get pregnant and just don't know it yet. I just know that I don't need anymore strikes against me in this issue.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Play these cool games now with no download, or download trial version FREE

Put this game box and other cool free add-ons on your website free! CLICK HERE

Animal Breed Zip Code