Saturday, February 25, 2006

Library Book Sale

Sandie, Mikey and I went to the Library Book Sale last night. I don't know how many people were there, but it was PACKED. It was supposed to just be for the Friends of the Library members but I think they were letting anyone in who wanted in.

I made a haul, spent $47.00 and got 58 paper backs and 15 hardbacks. At this point, I'm not even sure what I ended up with. I've been studying all day, so left the books in the car so I wouldn't be tempted.

I did think that I was going to see a fight last night. Hell, I thought I was going to end up in one. The sale is like a giant flea market, except everything is books (and records/tapes/cds/movies - whatever they have at the library). The books are sorted by category - fiction, nonfiction, etc,; but other than that, they are just piled up on the table. So people are standing shoulder to shoulder and looking at the same books. All in all, most people are polite and friendly. If you mention you're looking for one particular author, someone down the table will call out "Here's one". If two people reach for the same book, one of them will say "Go ahead, I was just looking at it, didn't really want it anyway". I mean, we're all readers, we know how it is when you find a book you've been looking for.

So three or four of us are standing at one table when a guy comes up with an new box to put out. NEW STUFF!!!!!!! So we all gather around the end where he is and look at the books as he's taking them out, giving each other a chance to see what's available and what we want before grabbing anything. Out of nowhere comes this woman and she starts practically ripping the books out of the volunteers hands. The rest of us literally couldn't even see the title or author before she was snatching them. So a couple of comments are made and this woman just ignores us. It actually got a little nasty, and I really thought that this other woman was going to hit the snatcher for a minute there. So finally the box is empty and the snatcher asks the volunteer if she can have the box. The other woman says "Why didn't you just take it before he emptied it". Really.

Other than that, I had no problems with anyone. Sandie said she had a little trouble because she had Britt in the stroller and kept getting in peoples way, but most everyone I ran into (sometimes literally) was pretty cool about the whole thing.

All in all, a perfect evening out for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Play these cool games now with no download, or download trial version FREE

Put this game box and other cool free add-ons on your website free! CLICK HERE

Animal Breed Zip Code